Sunday, November 21, 2010

ADD/ADHD utopia

I some how have been kind of lucky at the college I currently attend. I got to West Valley College in Saratoga, California. Click here to see the home page of my college. It is a california community college. I have an AA degree from a different community college about 10 years ago. So my general ed has been taken care of. I have taken mostly math and science classes since I started there in the summer of 2007 or 2008. I have shared my ADHD with most of my instructors and often with my classmates.

I have recieved some of the greatest support from my instructors and classmates and friends from West Valley College (WVC). I use the DESP, Disability Education Support Program, services there. I receive test accommodations and notetaking services. WVC is the only college I've been to, where I have consistently been treated with respect and equality. I haven't felt discriminated by the instructors. I haven't received verbal abuse and harrassment from my instructors.

I have been able to talk openly with my instructors about my ADHD and life challenges, I have received an amazing amount of grace from them when I needed it. Two of my physics instructors and one math instructors are my facebook friends. My current math instructor has been supportive and encouraging. She has allowed me extensions on my homework. My Java instructor has ADD/ADHD himself and we have had conversations about our ADD/ADHD right in front of others. I even talked about my accomodations in front of others.

I know how blessed I am to have been able go have instructors of such high quality and respectful. WVC has almost been an ADD/ADHD utopia. I love my instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment